Christmas Almond Banana Mincemeat Pies
For the pastry
- 200g/7oz plain flour, sifted
- 25g/1oz ground almonds
- 100g/4oz butter
- 50g/2oz icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 3 – 4 tbsp. milk or cold water
For the filling
- 2 bananas, peeled and finely chopped
- 275g/10oz mincemeat
- To Decorate
- A little icing sugar, sifted
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 18 pies
- In a food processor bowl put the flour, almonds, butter, icing sugar and lemon rind together and blitz until the mixture forms crumbs. Turn the mixture into a bowl. Mix the egg yolk and water. Add to the dry ingredients. With lightly floured hands draw the mixture together to form a soft but not sticky dough. Cover with cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 Lightly grease 2 bun tins.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured surface. Select a cutter a little larger than the top of the bun tins and cut out two circles for each mince pie.
- Fit the bottom circle in the tins. Mix the banana into the mincemeat and generous 1 tsp. into each pie.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry and seal the pastry tops in place. Make a hole in the centre of each pie. Bake for 12 –15 minutes or until pale golden brown. Cool a little before lifting out onto a cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.