Chicken Maryland Kebabs
- 14-16oz/400-450g boned chicken fillets
- 1 lime
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Piri piri sauce
- 3 large bananas
- 8-10 rashers smoked Pancetta or very thinly sliced smoked streaky bacon (rinds removed and stretched with the back of a knife)
- 1-2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Serve with couscous
Preparation Time: 15 minutes + marinating
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Perfect for summer outdoor eating and barbecues, these quick and easy kebabs can be made in advance and are good with turkey too.
- Place 4 wooden sticks in water to soak so they won't burn under the grill or on the barbecue.
- In a bowl mix the rind of the lime, 1tbsp juice, the olive oil, seasoning and 1tsp Piri Piri sauce. Cut the chicken into thick 2in/5cm strips, stir into the marinade and mix well. Leave for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Squeeze the rest of the lime juice into a small bowl. Peel the bananas and cut into at least 12 thick diagonal slices. Toss in the lime juice then wrap each piece neatly in a rasher of bacon.
- Arrange the chicken pieces and bananas on the wooden sticks, alternately and brush with any remaining marinade or lime juice.
- Preheat the grill until really hot, then grill the sticks for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through. Serve immediately with couscous and sprinkle with the coriander.
To barbecue turn frequently so the chicken and bananas don't burn but the chicken can cook through well. If you marinate for 30-60 minutes you will need much less cooking time. If the fire is very hot move the kebabs to the edge and brush again with oil so they don't dry out.